Teeth whitening is a safe and simple way to improve the appearance of the smile and reduce the discoloration of the teeth. Most people think that whiter teeth make people look younger and more attractive.
There are various methods for teeth whitening nowadays, and among the popular ones is the laser teeth whitening method option. Laser teeth whitening is a cosmetic laser dentistry procedure that has the additional use of a laser for clinic teeth whitening. The procedure takes place in a dental clinic under a doctor’s supervision. The process involves a concentrated whitening gel on your teeth and after that, a laser is used to hit the gel, which will quickly whiten your teeth.
What causes teeth discoloration?
The external factor of discoloration changes the color of the outside of the teeth. Certain foods and beverages such as Tea, coffee, soda, red wine, and dark-colored fruits cause this type of discoloration. These stains can also be easily removed at home with whitening products.
An inherent discoloration is developed on the inside of teeth. This can be caused by certain diseases or treatments (such as chemotherapy), trauma, genetics, or aging. Removing these types of stains is way more difficult and it needs professional teeth whitening.
Laser teeth whitening and other dental teeth whitening treatments
Many people get confused about the procedure because they do not know the differences between laser teeth whitening and other whitening methods being performed in dental clinics. The actual reason for using a laser is that it forces the chemical components to act faster, and leaves a faster and more effective result. For the products that are suitable for use at home, and other products that need light, the laser is used only for hitting purposes. The reason for this is that the components containing peroxide work faster with hits.
The steps for the laser teeth whitening process
The laser teeth whitening process takes place in a dental clinic and the procedure consists of a few simple steps:
- First, the dentist will place a plastic or rubber shield in your mouth to keep your mouth open.
- After that they apply a protective layer to protect your gums from the bleaching gel, these layers usually have a hard structure and form a layer on your gums. This layer prevents irritation and burning that may occur on the gums.
- After the protective layer is formed your dentist will carefully apply the whitening gel to your teeth. They will then use a pen-like laser to activate the gel. the gel will start to foam up which means it is starting to remove the stains from your teeth.
- The gel will be left on your teeth for a couple of minutes. Your dentist will remove it with a small vacuum. This process can be repeated several times until getting the desirable white tone.
- Finally, your dentist will rinse your mouth and remove the protective layers.
Care for after laser teeth whitening
You should only drink clear liquids for at least two hours after your teeth whitening session. After that, try to only eat foods that do not stain your teeth. Avoid eating dark pigmenting foods and drinks like coffee, tea, and soda for at least 24 hours.
Side effects of laser teeth whitening
Laser teeth whitening is a safe and effective procedure. It is very unlikely to cause serious side effects. However, it may cause temporary discomfort. The most common side effects are teeth sensitivity and gum irritation. Generally, it is mild and lasts only for a short term but can be severe in some people. Also, allergic reactions are possible as well. To avoid these negative effects stay away from hot and cold substances for a couple of days after the procedure. Laser teeth whitening or any other teeth whitening process are not recommended for pregnant and lactating women.
The advantages and disadvantages of laser teeth whitening
- There will be visible results after a single session of laser teeth whitening.
- All the processes will be done by the dentist in the clinic, so the patient does not need to use any materials or techniques at home.
- The result of whitening is much faster than the methods that can be applied at home.
- Having a doctor performing the procedure reduces the risks of soft tissue, burns, or damage to the nerves inside the teeth.
- Laser teeth whitening is the most expensive method among the other forms of teeth whitening.
- Requires a minimum of one hour or more hours of visits with the dentist.
- Like every other teeth whitening method, the results won’t last forever. People who drink coffee, tea, red wine, or use tobacco, will see a recurrence in their results after some time and need to repeat the process.
- There is no guarantee for the result of laser teeth whitening. In general, the results are better than other teeth whitening methods, however, some people have more deep stains that can not easily be removed and whitened.